Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Teach Music....Boost Reading or Boost Reading...Teach Music

We are often asked as music teachers how we can help "support the team" to help students become more literate and better readers.  There has been much discussion lately on social media regarding the following points:

-Teaching Music for Music's Sake
-Teaching Reading and Math through Music

I truly believe that we can do both.  It really boils down to transfer of skills and labeling what we do.  Many times we simply are not aware of the "regular education" terminology and struggle to find that point to "fit in".

As I was scouring the internet for information and terminology that works in teaching music and teaching reading and math, I came across the following article on NAfME: Teach Music - Boost Reading .

I think it is vitally important that we get this information posted in our classroom so that all of our stakeholders can see the correlation between Music and Reading.  With that, I created a poster.




I created this poster with the app Fingerpaint on my ipad and pages on my mac.  I uploaded the background from Fingerpaint into pages and then added two text boxes and the text.

Let's start a discussion on the ways we could create a poster that is Teach Music......Boost Math.  Please comment in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment